YOUR MONDAY WAKE UP CALL
What to look forward to this week.
Global equity markets entered a fresh slump last week as concerns over global growth, China and oil resurfaced. Stocks were starting advance this month following a forgettable month of October where they came under significant pressure. Oil prices have also retreated from their yearly highs as the market tried to gauge the impact of the USA’s sanctions on Iran. A potential resolution could be reached between the USA and China which could potentially give the market better clarity on the possible impacts of the current trade spat. Locally, our market has been feeding off the broader global sentiment and this is likely to remain the trend within the short-term. I have highlighted key events that traders can look out for in this week’s trading.
- On Monday we are expecting earnings results for Vodacom, and Tongaat Hulett to start off the day. On the international front, Italy is expected to release its Industrial Production numbers at 11am. There is no data expected out of the USA as it is a public holiday.
- On Tuesday, Germany will release its CPI data at 9am before attention shifts to the United Kingdom for the release of the Average Earnings Index and Unemployment Rate data. Locally, we are expecting earnings for Telkom SA.
- At 1.50am on Wednesday, we are expecting Japan to release its GDP numbers, however more focus will be on China at 4am for the release of Fixed Asset Investment, Industrial Production, Retail Sales and Unemployment Rate data. At 9am, German is expected to release its GDP data while similar data is expected for the Eurozone at midday. The United Kingdom will release its CPI data at 11.30am while the USA is expected to release the same data at 3.30pm. Locally, we are expecting earnings from Capital Appreciation and Greenbay Properties.
- On Thursday, Retail Sales data out of the United Kingdom will be the primary focus for that morning. We are also expecting Retail Sales data for the USA at 3.30pm along with the weekly Initial Jobless Claims numbers. In terms of local earnings releases, we are expecting results from Brait, Investec, Mediclinic and Sappi.
- Friday will be relatively subdued in terms of economic data. At midday we are expecting CPI data for the Eurozone as well as Trade Balance numbers for Italy. The USA is expected to release Capacity Utilization and Industrial Production data at 4.15pm. In terms of earnings we are expecting results from the Spar Group, Reinet Investments and Arrowhead Properties.
We will be keeping tabs on the events in the markets. Check out our blog for market updates, insights from our GT247.com team, and our independent analysts. Not sure about a trade? Call the GT247.com Trading Desk on 087 940 6102 and bounce your idea off one of our dedicated traders.
Until next week, we wish you profitable trading!